Saturday 26 September 2015

What Honesty Stole from Me



Until 2 weeks ago I was pro honesty but something happened to me which got me thinking, is honesty really the best policy?

So in October, I came across a certain position in one of the leading International NGO’s that I qualified for.
Without any hesitation, I applied for the position and a week later was called in for an interview.

On the day of the interview, I wore my best outfit and my expensive heels (Which I only wear during interviews). On this day, I had carried all my courage and polished on my English since this was my first interview in almost 2 years.

The interview went on smoothly and just before we concluded 3 questions stood out.

Interviewer: Do you have any dependant?
Me: (I grind my teeth as I debated with myself whether to be honest or not, but my voice of reason won the debate)
Yes, I have a daughter who is 7 months old.

The interviewer noted something down and asked whether she is still breastfeeding and who would take care of her if I had to travel. In the spirit of honesty, I give her adequate information in regards to my daughter.

Interviewer: Do you have any major financial obligations?
Me: (For this question no debate was needed. The monthly updates from HELB were fresh in my mind)
Yes, I have an outstanding HELB loan which I have not started paying.

This question did not require additional information because she quickly jumped to the question that gave me butterflies in my stomach.

Interviewer: Are you in a relationship?
Me: (I had exposed too much already and I did not want more personal questions so I was looking for a smart answer)
No

We quickly had a chit chat off the record because she was interested in understanding my situation.

To cut the story short, I got the job and was told the reporting day. Due to my motherly instincts I went ahead to write an email seeking clarification on the location and leaving arrangements. No reply came for days but a call came 2 days before the reporting day. 

The message was clear and painful: ‘Unfortunately, you cannot join the program because of your baby’. I could not believe what was going on which led to a heated conversation. 

Being a Christian, the born-again type and filled with the spirit, The Holy spirit communicated to me and I felt that I should end the conversation. So I accepted my fate and asked her to give the opportunity to someone else. 

That is how I lost a great opportunity by being honest. Despite the experience if I had a do over, I will go with honesty every other day.

Here are related article:
2. Unemployment is More Than Limited Opportunities

No comments:

Post a Comment