Friday 31 May 2013

Writing

Thinking“Writing is a solitary process.” These are the words that one of my professors kept telling me. I do agree with him completely because our writing reflects our abilities. While writing one has to really engage their brain so as to come up with reasonable content. As for
professional writers the challenge is even bigger. One has to always remain relevant and to keep their audience hooked.
Writers are advised to choose their audience but what to tell them remains a challenge. Using myself as an example, am not sure who my audience is. Worse still I do not even know what I should tell them. Most people want to read about fashion, beauty, love and relationships, tips of excellence and beauty tips. Very few people read about religion, critics and life issues. We have all seen it on social sites.
I’m really not that worried about what to write. People need to hear about the issues that affect us in our day to day lives. I may not be that old but I have had experiences that are worth writing about. It’s not my plan to tell my readers every detail of my life but share with them something teachings or encouragement.
Starting with my campus life, I cannot quite remember anything of substance that I did in my first year apart from academic work. I had not come into terms with where I went to the university. The year was not a total waste since a made amazing friends who have been with me this far.
Second year was about exploration and getting involved. Tried joining several clubs but could only commit to drama club. Trips were my first priority and my target was to visit all major cities in Western Kenya. This is how I ended up loving and appreciating where I was.
Third year come and making money was my chief goal. I did some on line jobs and ventured into several businesses. I was able to earn a substantial amount for my upkeep.
In fourth year I realised that I had not done much to develop my career. Though the workload was exhausting, I became active in several clubs and never missed out on any school or departmental event. My involvement made me realise that I had missed out on a lot.
Activities that take place in a campus are meant to assist students sharpen their skills in all aspects and make them outstanding. They are also an opportunity to establish professional contacts. I realised this too late. I am not regretting but I should have done more.

No comments:

Post a Comment