Monday 18 August 2014

Akili Dada Mentorship at Loreto Limuru

How many of you have ever gone back to their high school after clearing and not just to pick results? If I start by counting the number of people in this bracket, it may take us the whole day.
I am also part of this statistic and at times I am embarrassed about it.
 
Thanks to Akili Dada I no longer have to live with the guilt of abandoning my high school. On the 12th July 2014 between 2-4 pm, Akili Dada mentors had a session with the girls at the Loreto Limuru. The Director –Young Change Makers Program at Akili Dada, Ms. Veronica Thamaini was kind enough to allow the members of the Loreto Limuru Alumni Secretariat to join them and there I got my chance to give back to society.

I will not go into details about who was there with me and how the day was but, I will share with you the message of the day. The theme of the day was Self esteem and how to manage peer pressure. You probably are thinking that these are the same things we have been told about for ages. I will also join hands with your thoughts because this topic was introduced to me when I was in standard six and I have heard it over and over again.

We have all been told how important it is for you to have a positive self esteem and how to avoid peer pressure. My question is how many of us take it seriously? 

Just to recap. In psychology, the term self-esteem is used to describe a person's overall sense of self-worth or personal value and Peer pressure is the impact exerted by a peer group on its separate members to fit in with or conform to group expectations by thinking, feeling, and acting in a like or approved way.

Whether we want to hear about it or not these two aspects are always part of our lives from our sunrise till our sunset.

Everyone wants to fit in and feel appreciated; this makes us feel good about ourselves. Ladies we are all victims of keeping up with the latest fashion trends. This is a subconscious effort of submitting to peer pressure and boosting our esteem.

Interacting with the girls at Loreto Limuru and listening to their perspective was a great experience for me. It was not only a chance to influence a life positively but a moment to reflect. I never take time to think about self esteem or peer pressure in my life a habit that I should change.

I know many of you may take this as a topic for the teenagers but once you reflect on your lifestyle and professional choices you will see that peer pressure and issues of self esteem don not just fade with teenage hood.

Here are related articles:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment